Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hinduism: a love affair


At the start of this Indian adventure I was fascinated with Hinduism. I got overly excited by the kitsch flourescent orange Ganesh statues that lined the trashy tourist stalls along the Causeway. I have been embarrasingly fixated on the flashing fairy lights and diamontes that adorn the shrines in people's homes in slum communities. I have travelled 3.5 hours on a train to go visit the holy Godavari river on the off-chance that it really is holy and I would be healed from my mozzie bite epidemic. (I will never know if the Godavari would have healed me as I decided that a few mozzie bites were better than catching something far more toxic in the rubbish and waste filled river.)

I feel I have also been bribed into loving Hinduism as every time I visit a temple I am given sweets. Yes. They bless, then share with me delicious sugar filled delights. Wandering along the street stalls in Nasik I went into a frenzy over the bright coloured beads, bracelets and other holy trinkets that are supposed to bring the Hindu Gods closer to you. Then there is just the sheer quantity of the Gods. Who could not be impressed by a religion with over 6000 Gods?!! (Hmm so it's more like 300 but that didn't sound quite as earth shattering.) Hinduism is so foreign and abstract to me. And I admit it, I have been a little bit in love with Hinduism.

Love affair is over. I am now angry with Hinduism.

A morning at Elephanta Caves was all it took for the entire love affair to crash and burn. I have reboarded my feminist bandwagon and have been enraged at the submission of women. Women, who already find themselves confined in Indian society, are reminded in the carvings at Elephanta Island that they must play the understudy to the males in society. Hindu stories of their Gods lay the foundations for women to play a submissive role to women. Take one such carving of Shiva and his wife Parvati. Shiva and Parvati were spending a chilled evening at home, relaxing with a glass of red and playing an enjoyable game of dice. Shiva won the game – but only by cheating. Parvati got on her moral high-horse and didn't want to play with him anymore as she felt his cheating ripped the fun out of the game. All mighty Shiva responded by demanding that she continue playing and told her that in life you lose lots of battles and that you should just get used to it and continue fighting. Good advice. However the authorised Government guide who took us for a tour told us that this is an important carving as it reminded women of their place in society and that they must follow their husband's direction even if he is cheating. In other words, do what your told even if it's crap. Shiva, I thought you were cool.

Look, maybe I just have an issue with the carvings at Elephanta because one depicted Shiva fighting off the demon 'ego'. Yes. Elephanta purports to tell us all that having an ego is a bad thing. Well Elephanta obviously doesn't know how amazing I am.

So Hinduism. I issue you with a challenge. I dare you to make me fall back in love with you. Get out the sweets, the kitsch figurines and the peace and love. Win me back.

3 comments:

  1. I think your issue is with the wacky guide's interpretation rather than the religion itself!

    Hinduism is one of the world's oldest religions, far older than Chrisitianity or Islam or any other modern day religion (you could argue those two religions promote far more offensive roles of women!). I think the perspective of women in this case is more a Indian cultural rather than religious belief.

    Hinduism is one of the few religions who worship female goddesses afterall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have had more crazy experiences with Hinduism since this post. But have also had some incredible discussions with people about how religions in India affect gender issues and the people in general. Look forward to chatting to you about then. Think you're spot on in your thoughts. And yes, female goddesses rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think what you saw doesn't reflect true Hinduism at all. So much of sexism is cultural rather than religious, and has more recent origins than the religion. I won't go into all of that because it'd become an essay.

    Basically: I'm a Hindu American from a VERY traditional household. Like, we are conservative Hindus, period. Part of our "conservative Hindu culture" is the equality and empowerment of women. My mother is financially independent, my sister and I are financially independent, and we always made our own decisions and were treated with total respect by everyone growing up.

    Hindu wedding vows reflect that equality too. The Hindu bridgegroom pledges to be his wife's best friend, to always consult her on every matter regarding the use of their money and investments, never criticize her in front of the kids or outsiders, always treat her as an equal, etc.

    I know it's a common Western refrain that Indian women are second-class citizens, but it simply isn't true.

    Glad to know you enjoyed your visit to the country though.

    ReplyDelete