Friday, January 8, 2010

Bollywood Wedding Dream Over


Should have paid more attention to Bend It Like Beckham. No Indian man will ever marry me. My Indian Bollywood life plans are over before they began.

Why? Because I can't roll a round chapati.

Spent the afternoon at a women's group in a rehabilitated slum. This amazing group has started up a lunchtime business that prepares meals for the rickshaw drivers who park across the road. Using their existing amazing cooking skills (and I can vouch for this as someone who is still stuffed at 10pm from eating an endless stream of amazing Maharastran delicacies from them!) they have been able to bring additional income into their families. This extra money has enabled some families to put their children into school, to renovate their flats to have bathrooms/showers and to have savings in the bank as a safety net incase they need money.

But in addition to being impressed by their business success, I am thoroughly disheartened as I discovered I am unable to roll a chapati and make it perfectly round.

Thus, I will fail any future mother-in-law's test (YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY IMPRESS THEM WITH YOUR CHAPATI SKILLS!) and will not get to marry the Bollywood man of my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment