Monday, December 21, 2009

Playing Dress-ups



Another day, another slum community. And that doesn't imply that I'm over it at all. I am loving it crazy in fact. I am loving meeting beautiful, welcoming people who are keen to share their lives with their odd, loud Australian visitor with a famous cricketer's name. Yes, of course I was named after Brett Lee.
Went to visit a different rehabilitated complex today. Similar buildings with the same India smell. Today I was there to take part in the community meeting where they would discuss what welfare requirements could be addressed in the next year. The women's group leads this meeting of the community. Serious investment in the women's empowerment by the organisation I'm working with has led to some serious kick-ass girl power in the poorest parts of Mumbai. Before the meeting, we thought we would drop in on a girl my age. Again, my Hindi failed me and I couldn't pronouce her name. Her name is Indi.. something something. Indi it is. Plus, seeing as she pronouced my name as 'Borat' I don't think she'd mind.

Indi was asleep when we knocked on her door. She was sleeping on the table top in the main living room/bedroom. The apartment was identical to Mrs MK's. But Indi's room that she shared with her family, also doubled as the room she taught sewing classes in. These sewing machines were to die for. One side of the room was lined up with old school singer sewing machines. Drool-worthy. Indi spends her days teaching girls and women how to sew so that they can generate their own incomes as tailors or by making handicrafts. Amongst the sewing machines and a shrine to Ganesh (complete with blinking fairy lights), there was also a hairdressing chair and posters adorning the walls of hip, 1980s hairstyles that American women would have worn. Think Julia Roberts in Pretty Women. Without Hindi I played my usual game of pointing, smiling and laughing.


Indi went to the kitchen and brought back water and peanuts for her guests. Am still a tad uncomfortable with these lovely people with next to nothing want to give you things when you visit them. However, as I have been having withdrawls from my beloved peanut butter, I busied myself de-shelling peanuts at a Guiness Book pace. When I awoke from my peanut frenzy, there was a swarm of young ladies in the room all giggling, plotting and clapping with excitement. Before I knew it I was being motioned towards the hairdressing chair.


So here I am. Surrounded my smiling, excited women. In a chair unable to move. With beautiful Indi above me with a pair of scissors. Was all too excited to play dressups until the scissors came out. If you've seen me in a swimming cap you'd understand why I was worried about the prospect of an extreme haircut. Luckily, in India, long luscious hair is supreme. So I escaped the scissors and instead relaxed for my face massage, make up and hairstyling. Turns out purple lipstick is so in right now. I had my hair braided 'traditional Indian style' although I find it hard to believe that the blue and silver sequined stars that Indi pinned into my hair with sewing pins are overly traditional.


So while loving up my new crazy Indian makeup and hair I didn't see the scissors coming. And I know have a new short fringe bit that keeps flipping onto my face to remind me of the 'traditional Indian hairstyle'. But even that couldn't take away my enjoyment of the hour or so that I played dressups with Indi. There were bridal necklaces, dupattas and noserings to try on. I feel like Indi and I are sisters. Not only does she share my love of peanuts, but once you share a nosering with someone you might as well be blood related.


Such a fun, crazy and unexpected morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment