Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mumbai Calling

And so I'm back to the velvet underground.

Wait. Scrap that. There's no velvet here. This is India. This isn't the Fleetwood Mac concert I saw the day before being stuck in transit for 26 hours. This is Mumbai. This is anything but velvet. Mumbai is loud, proud and hot. Very hot. Isn't it winter here? Ha. Indian winter. 33 degrees.

Having never been to Mumbai I had no idea what to expect. Arriving at my new home for the next two months I was disappointed to see that there were no beggars on the street outside my apartment. Disappointed? Really Brett?! That's definitely not politically correct. But India is about poverty right? This next three months is about Brett running away to be in her beloved India and to be with the poor right?

Big. Wake. Up. Call.

Shall have to wait until I start work in the slums on Monday to be back to my comfort zone in community among the poor. Learning very quickly that in my Cosmopolitan Colaba home there are more drunk German tourists than beggars. There are more street vendors selling cheap t-shirts and rip-off perfumes than there are limping children. And there has been a severe absence of Slumdog Millionaire-style blinded children. So no immersion in poverty in Colaba. Have decided there are so few beggars because the wealthy Indians driving their Mercedes and Lexuses would probably not take the effort to swerve around the child beggars. They'd probably just continue driving straight at them as they continue to do with me.

So Colaba isn't poverty central. But a few Kingfisher beers later and I'm in love. I love the energy of the street markets. I love the predictable hoards of tourists outside Leopolds. I love even more that they sell cheap photocopied knock-offs of Shantaram in Leopolds. I love that I've already decided I'm too cool for Leopolds and have found my own bar that I shall love for the next two months. Mondy's. I'm personally going to make it bigger and better than Leopolds. I love the chai vendor around the corner who sells the dodgiest looking, but best tasting 6 rupee chai. I love the men walking on the streets selling balloons the size of small children. NO! I do not want a balloon! I love the kitsch fibreglass, fluro Hindu God knock offs that stupid tourists buy. I love that I am one of those stupid tourists who bought an ugly statue. Essentially, I love my new home.

And although having initially being a tad disappointed/snobby with how 'touristy' and 'removed from poverty' Colaba is, I am embracing all she has to offer. My room mate and I are on a mission to make this literally our home for the next two months. We are planning ways to decorate our humble abode. The balcony will be covered in pot plants, beach chairs, a Christmas tree and fairy lights if we have our way. Although where we would find these items is a mystery. We are committed to making best friends with the bartenders, waiters and shop assistants in our favourite 'local' places so we can become regulars.

Colaba is not going to be the same without us when we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment